Need to undertake research, but cannot make a visit to us? We can help.
Staff are also available to process enquiries, including copy orders and research. We will do our best to help you, but please do bear with us as things are likely to take longer to do due to reduced staff access.
If you need to get in touch, please do so via email on our Contact Us page.
Some information on what research we can do
What can we do for free?
We can provide details about our records and other sources held at the Berkshire Record Office (BRO) as well as how they can be used for research. We can also provide guidance on where to look for records not held at the BRO.
What do we charge for?
If we need to look at records held at the BRO for you we need to charge a fee. Currently we charge £32.00 per hour with a minimum half hour charge of £16.00.
So that we can make effective use of the time you will be paying for, please provide us with as much information as you can. Please email or write to us using the guidance below:
- Make your requirements as specific as possible
- State exactly what information you are seeking
- Give us any relevant details you already have.
We will then assess your enquiry and provide feedback as to how we may be able to help you together with a quote for any research we can do. If you then wish to proceed with the research, payment is required in advance and can be made as follows:
- By cheque made payable to Reading Borough Council
- By international cheque in pounds sterling, made payable to Reading Borough Council and drawn on a bank with a UK branch
- By credit or debit card by calling 0118 937 5132
- By credit or debit card by paying online through this link.
Searches will be carried out either until the time paid for has been used, or until the information requested has been found.
Please be advised that only the most specific of searches (e.g. one entry in a parish register) can be completed within 30 minutes.
Whether you would like us to see what we have or would like us to carry out research on your behalf, please get in touch via our Contact Us page.